As an RMT (Registered Massage Therapist), I often get asked this question of how massage can be beneficial to athletes. You train hard and demand a lot from your body to perform. Massage can and should be a part of your training cycle for optimum health and performance. Here’s how:
- Increases circulation to your muscles for recovery
- Reducing the inflammatory response in muscles, thus aiding recovery
- Breaks down scar tissue from micro tears improving your Range of Motion
- Trigger Point relief – tight knots that can refer pain can impede performance
- Ease muscle soreness
- Improves joint mobility
- Improve sleep – rest is essential in muscle recovery during hard training cycles
- Boosts immunity – research has found massage can increase your white blood cells, keeping your immune system pumping.
- Can aid in various sports injury recovery – such as sprains, strains, tears, tendonitis, bursitis, fractures and dislocations
- And it just feels good!
If you’re in the Toronto area – you can find me practicing at Rebalance Sports Medicine.